Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Lab Week 2

In lab, we were able to use the material covered in lecture and actually have a case and 24-hour blood culture to plate onto specific agars and perform rapid and incubated tests. The first thing I did was a gram stain that showed gram positive cocci in pairs (clusters). I then plated the blood onto SBA with a P disk and incubated it in CO2 at 35C. From the P disk and a bile solubility test I determined it was sensitive and therefore Streptococcus pneumoniae. From the information I obtained in lab, I was able to consult several references and write a short statement about the clinical significance of the bacteria and how the patient in the case was likely infected. The picture below is a sheep blood agar with a P disk and positive sensitivity. This is also a review of alpha hemolysis!!

The most challenging part of the class and lab so far is using information I learned last semester. I feel that once I use it more often and become more comfortable with it I will enjoy the class but especially the lab more! Feel free to comment what your organism was and the reactions seen, and we can use it for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment